Long course is the largest course for officers commission in Pakistan Army. Joining Pakistan Army through long course is the dream of almost every Pakistani youth! I’ll explain the joining procedure to join Pak Army in this article along with various facts and frequently asked questions.
Please read the complete article till the end to have a detailed idea about the requirements and procedure to join Pakistan army as an officer through PMA long course.
Where is Pakistan Military Academy?
Pakistan Military Academy is located at Kakul, Abbottabad. PMA is a huge complex with multiple branches, in which cadets are divided during their training.
Who is a cadet?
A cadet, or more specifically gentleman cadet, is the potential officer who is under training at any officers training institute of Military.
The candidates who get selected through ISSB for Pakistan Army PMA long course to become an officer are termed as cadets once they have reported to the PMA, till their passing out parade.
What is Pakistan Army Long Course?
Long course of Pakistan Army officer commission refers to the course for commission in Pakistan Army as an officer by undergoing a 2 years course at Pakistan Military Academy.
The long course is divided into 4 parts of 6 months, called terms. The first term is junior most and the 4th term is the senior most. Why is it important? Because this term structure is the reason for the famous “seniors ka ragra” program in the PMA.
The junior cadets during their training in initial terms when they join Pak Army are much more concerned and afraid of their seniors than of the PMA staffs.
When are the courses announced?
There are two courses per year, one starts in the beginning of the year while the other one in the mid.
Keep an eye on http://joinpakarmy.gov.pk/ for the registrations opening for long course.
Also, keep in touch with your local AS & RC for updated information.
Minimum requirements for joining Pakistan Army as an officer through PMA long course
Selection criteria to join Pak Army via long course includes:
Education required: Details regarding educational requirements for PMA long course are as follows:
- Intermediate (FA or FSc or equivalent) with minimum of 60% marks.
- Relaxation in Intermediate (FA, FSc or equivalent) marks up to 55% for candidates having domicile of these areas and also actually studied there too:
- Neelum district
- Bala Kot tehsil (Naran, Kaghan)
- Mansehra district
- Azad Kashmir
- Kot tehsil (Sindh)
- Cholistan desert area
- Rajanpur district
- Drawar Fort
- Dingarh (Punjab)
- For serving Army soldiers: 50% marks in Intermediate (FA, FSc or equivalent)
- Candidates who did BA, BSc, BBA, BBA, BPA, BA (hons), BSc (hons) with 60% marks need 50% in Intermediate.
- Hope certificate: Students who are giving Intermediate part 2 exams are eligible if they scored 60% marks in Intermediate part 1. They can apply with hope certificate from the head of their educational institute.
- For A level candidates:
- Those who did A levels with 60% marks can apply without equivalence certificate as calculated by IBCC
- Those who did A levels from abroad require equivalence certificate issued by IBCC
Please note, these are guidelines and can be changed or relaxed at anytime. Therefore don’t just assume that you’re not eligible because it was once listed out by Army. Always apply and see if the new guidelines allow your educational qualifications to be eligible for selection in Pakistan Army long course.
Minimum height: 5 feet 4 inches or 162.5 cms
Weight: As per BMI
Age: 17 to 22
Age can be relaxed in some situations like:
- 17 – 23 years for serving Pakistan Navy or Pakistan Airforce personnel
- 17 – 23 years for graduates of 2 years graduation programs
- 17 – 24 years for graduates of 4 years graduation programs (BS, BBA, BA(Hon), BPA)
- 17 – 25 years for serving army soldiers
Marital status: Unmarried, except for serving Army soldiers above age 20.
Nationality: Pakistani (including Gilgit-Baltistan and Azad Kashmir). People having dual nationality have to give up their other nationalities upon selection.
Note that the eligibility criteria tend to change from time to time, therefore don’t just assume that you’re ineligible (or eligible) just by going through the available information. Always consult AS & RC for the current and possibly upcoming guidelines for eligibility criteria to join Army.
In fact, just apply for the Army and if you’re ineligible they will refuse your application, not a big deal.
Selection procedure in Pakistan Army for PMA long course
Selection procedure is long and fun one!
First of all the candidates have to undergo preliminary tests, which include:
- Written and intelligence tests, based on multiple choice questions related to:
- General knowledge
- Pakistan studies
- Those who clear the intelligence test, undergo a physical and medical test and then the interview at AS & RCs (Army selection and recruitment centers).
The initial preliminary physical test criteria includes:
- Running: 1.6 km in 8 minutes 30 seconds
- Push ups: 15 push ups in 2 minutes
- Chin ups: 3 chin ups in 2 minutes
- Sit ups: 15 sit ups in 2 minutes
- Ditch crossing of dimensions: 7 feet 4 inches in length and width and 4 feet in depth.
The applicants who clear the preliminary examination and initial medical exam are called for ISSB.
Candidates who clear ISSB undergo detailed medical examination for recommendation in Pakistan Army at CMH.
Final select is made by GHQ on overall performance of the candidate and various factors.
If selected, the lucky chap gets a call letter to report to PMA on specified date to commence his training of long course for becoming and officer in Pakistan Army.